Sep 11, 2006


Even those of us without kids seem to still make a mental note of the time of year when school starts. I enjoy going into an office supply store and seeing the racks of folders and pens, rulers, staplers, and colored pencils. A few days ago I saw one of those sketch pads with the few solid lines with dotted ones in between, the ones in which most of us learned how to write our letters. I remember that there was a huge open space above those lines to draw whatever it was you were spelling. I loved these books. I really wanted all of my letters to be perfect. Wanted that back side of the capital B to be straight as a rod, and the two bumps to hit that dotted line just so. . . . I know, I have issues!

The drawing part, above the text, was always so fun! That was a time before inhibition. A time when if someone asked you to draw a tiger, you would draw the purplest kangaroo-looking animal and shout "ALL DONE!"

The best class I ever took in college was in my sophomore year called "Visual Literacy." I think back to the crazy projects all the time. Most of the assignments asked to have a phrase, or image, graphically depicted in several ways. It was always so hard to get the huge sheets filled in, to not automatically go for the obvious solution and to take the time to really solve the problem! The purpose of the assignment is much appreciated today!

I still get serious jitters every time I unveil a new piece, not knowing how it will be received. But one thing that I have realized is that individual aesthetic is a huge part of how each person reacts to art and imagery. I do not have to worry about the absolute perfect "text book" depiction of an image, but that the image I see in my head is equally as valid and that the final result is my expression and interpretation. I need to make sure that I am still, today, as carefree and un-jaded in my expression, as I was in those handwriting books! It is not always easy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the cats in the background of this piece...

I'm with you on the perfect writing thing as a child...I loved the annual stationary run...all that paper, pens & notebooks...still love buying that stuff!!

Ouissi x